- Amateur Service
- A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.
- Amateur Station
- A station licensed in the amateur service, including necessary equipment, used for amateur communication.
- Amateur operator
- A person holding a written authorization to be the control operator of an amateur station.
- The Morse code abbreviation for “from” or “this is.”
- Telegraphic shorthand for “Long Distance”. Usually DX refers to a long distance signal.
- The practice of receiving and identifying distant radio signals, or making two-way radio contact with distant stations in amateur radio, citizens’ band radio or other two-way radio communications.
- Dummy load
- A station accessory that, replacing an antenna, allows you to test or adjust transmitting equipment without sending a signal out over the air. Also called dummy antenna.
- A device that allows a dual-band radio to use a single antenna resonating on two different bands.
- SWR Meter
- A measuring instrument that can indicate when an antenna system is working well. A device used to measure SWR.
- Solar Flare
- A sudden eruption of energy on the solar disk lasting minutes to hours, from which radiation and particles are emitted.
- Temporary areas of concentrated magnetic field on the sun, resulting in a darker area on the photosphere of the sun
- Sunspot Cycle
- The number of sunspots increases and decreases in a predictable cycle that lasts about 11 years.